[You probably heard on social media about oral piercings since they are trending in pop culture. Celebrities like Rosalía, Drake, and Rihanna are turning to tooth gems and diamonds to make sparkling music along with their smiles! But is it safe to put jewels on teeth? Does a tooth gem involves risks for oral health? Today we will talk about everything you must know about teeth gems.
What Is A Tooth Piercing?
A tooth piercing, popularly known as a tooth gem, is a piece of jewelry put on teeth without the need to make a hole! Instead of this, they are attached to the surface area. Many of these piercings can be a variety of gemstones with many forms and sizes. These are some of the most popular:
Tooth piercings are usually done on front teeth (since these gems aim to achieve a noticeable bright and exotic smile).
Teeth Gems Started With The Mayans
For many specialists, Mayans are the pioneers in cosmetic dentistry! It is believed that they were the first humans to use various materials to decorate teeth! These Adornments were made with jade, gold, turquoise, and other beautiful gemstones. The teeth were drilled and bonded with plant sap, then the jewelry was attached to the teeth.
Teeth adornment practices were significant in the Mayans’ life, but today the main reason for placing diamonds or gems is to symbolize status (that’s why celebrities wear them). People have had body modifications since ancient times, commonly used in ceremonies and as a meaning of beauty and money.
How Is The Tooth Gem Procedure?
The tooth-piercing procedure is safe as long as you visit a team of specialists in cosmetic dentistry. It is the best we can advise since teeth jewelry can also be found in body art shops, which are not as safe and professional as specialists in aesthetic dentistry.
- Teeth Cleaning. Before the procedure, a teeth cleaning will be performed to clean and prepare your tooth enamel.
- Composite application. A bonding material and composite or resin (a material made especially for tooth filling) will be applied to the area where your tooth gem will be placed.
- Tooth gem placement. The specialists will use adequate instruments to safely stick the jewelry into the composite.
- Setting. A special lamp that you probably know about hardens the composite, just like when you went through a filling or root canal because of a cavity. It only takes seconds for the gem to set.
- Aftercare. It is recommended to brush gently and avoid spicy or sticky foods, not touch the gem once it is placed, and have proper oral hygiene.
Some people may have their teeth drilled, but specialists recommend not to do it since drilling the teeth can lead to irreversible damage to your tooth.
Hailey Baldwin, the wife of the pop artist Justin Bieber, is one of the most popular celebrities with tooth gems.
How Long Do Tooth Gems Last?
According to cosmetic dentist in Tijuana, a temporary piercing on teeth can last up to 1 month, while semi-permanent piercings can be on teeth for as long as you like.
Who Performs The Procedure?
You can get tooth gems at the dental office, where specialists in cosmetic dentistry will tell you the best options for you and all you need to know about tooth jewelry.
You May Also Like: How Dentists Support LGBT Oral Health
Rihanna, the worldwide pop star, has a tooth gem, and of course…she shines bright like a diamond!
Risk Of Tooth Gems
One of the biggest concerns with tooth gems is that jewelry can break from the tooth and be swallowed. There are other risks such as:
- Tooth Sensitivity. After the procedure, you might experience sensitivity in teeth to hot or cold things.
- Chipped teeth. Tooth enamel is thin, and areas where you put a piercing or a diamond tooth gem are dedicated zones. This area can get chipped and cause pain and tooth sensitivity.
- Gum inflammation or recession around the gem. One of the risks during a tooth gem procedure is gum inflammation, the jewelry may irritate if it is sharp, and recession may also occur.
- Damage to your lips if rubbed against them. Since our mouth has to get used to adornments, specialists recommend chewing delicately for less irritation while your mouth adapts gems.
- Allergic reaction. Some people might have an allergic reaction; symptoms involved are itchy skin and difficulty breathing.
If you have a tooth gem, it is important to have a dental check-up every six months to ensure the jewelry is not damaging your gums or teeth.
Tooth gems are the new top trend, even if they are safe to put on teeth (as long as it is with a specialist). Our dentists in our Dental Clinic In Tijuana recommend the best and safe options for cosmetic treatments such as invisible orthodontics in Tijuana, dental crowns in Tijuana, dental implants in Tijuana and Endodontics in Mexico, teeth whitening or veneers to achieve a bright, sparkling smile! Visit us today to schedule an appointment!