TikTok is a social media platform that has exploded in popularity with millions of active users worldwide! While it is a place for entertainment and fun, sometimes it is not without risks, especially when discussing health trends. Recently we have seen an increase in dental trends in TikTok that are dangerous and have long-term consequences for oral health.
Today our dentist in Tijuana will discuss some dangerous dental TikTok trends and their consequences on your pearly whites.
7 Dangerous Dental Trends
- DIY teeth whitening. DIY teeth whitening is a popular trend on TikTok that uses baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, and charcoal to whiten teeth;. In contrast, these teeth whitening seems harmless, but they can damage teeth! Baking soda and hydrogen peroxide are abrasive and can erode your enamel. On the other hand, charcoal can also be abrasive and leave scratches that trap bacteria and cause staining.
- Filing teeth. Another trend that has gained fame on TikTok is teeth filing. This trend involves using a nail file or sandpaper (most of the time, it is a nail file) to shape teeth to make them look “better” or to reduce the appearance of teeth gaps. This practice can lead to significant damage to teeth as it can expose the dentin layer beneath the enamel and cause sensitivity and, in severe cases, tooth decay.
- DIY Braces. “DIY braces” involve using rubber bands to straighten teeth at home without the help of the expert, which is the orthodontist. This trend is not just ineffective but also too dangerous. It can lead to gum damage and even tooth loss. Moving teeth without the proper experience and dental equipment can also cause severe pain.
- Tongue piercings. While tongue piercings are an old trend, they have returned on TikTok! These piercings can lead to different oral health problems from gum damage and tooth loss. The piercing’s metal can also damage teeth and cause cracks.
- Chewing ice. Many users have posted videos of themselves chewing ice to cool down after doing a spicy challenge or to do an “ASMR” (videos of satisfying sound effects). However, chewing ice can damage your pearly whites; the possible damages include cupping, cracking, or breaking teeth.
Plus, the cold temperature of ice can make teeth more sensitive.
- Using teeth as tools. It is a common practice that many people need to learn about the potential dangers. TikTok users have posted videos using their teeth to open bottles (commonly beers), rip packaging, and cut things like tape. Using your teeth as tools can cause chipped or cracked teeth and gum damage.
- Dental Fads. Many dental fads, including DIY aligners and tooth gems, are popular on social media. DIY clear aligners use plastic molds to straighten teeth at home, while tooth gems involve applying small crystals to teeth for a trendy effect. These fads don’t work but can also be dangerous for your smile, as attempting to move teeth without dental equipment can cause severe damage to teeth and gums.
You May Also Like: Removing Braces With A Spoon: A Dentist Opinion
Why Do People Do DYI Dental Trends?
People seek DIY dental services or “hacks” for many reasons, but the main one is the high costs of professional dental care, which can be expensive and even not covered by insurance. So people see TikTok trends as a more affordable option without knowing the risks.
Dentists In Tijuana – Affordable Dental Clinic
If you are looking for affordable and experienced dentist in Tijuana, you’ve come to the right place! The Dental District has gathered a team of high-skilled specialists ready to treat your oral health needs. International patients have recognized our dentists for their excellent job in different dental procedures, giving comprehensive care at each phase of any treatment.
Our dental clinic is in New City Medical Plaza, Latin America’s most important medical complex. New City Plaza is also a one-stop shop, meaning you can receive dental care conveniently with a luxury hotel, the region’s best food, and other amenities.
While TikTok is a fun and entertaining platform, it is essential to be aware of the potential dangers associated with some dental trends that have gained popularity. DIY teeth whitening, teeth filing, DIY braces, and tongue piercings, among other DIY trends, are all practices that can harm your oral health. Our team of dentists in our dental clinic in Tijuana has the best and safest dental treatments, such as dental implants in Mexico, root canal in Mexico, dental crowns in Tijuana, veneers, and more! Visit us today to schedule an appointment!